Friday, July 11, 2008

Precious Memories from Guatemala!



I got back from Guatemala on Sunday and truly wasn't ready to come home yet! Thanks for all your prayers! My first praise is that my flight there was one of the smoothest landings ever(wasn't the case in 04-got really sick)! Second praise is that my team members were some of the coolest ladies ever and we all got along really well and I developed some really great friendships! Third praise is that the conditions of the orphanage have improved greatly! The orphanage in Xela has a new director who has done amazing things there. She has hired all new teachers who are great with the kids(about 90 kiddos)and the orphanage is super clean and the kids have structure and discipline and are under control(unlike my last visit with kids running around crazy and doing what ever they wanted). The orphanage also has a new playground in the back that is really nice and the kids love it! PRAISE THE LORD! GOD IS GOOD! We were at the orphanage Monday through Thursday doing VBS work. We were at the orphanage in the morning from 9:00-12:00 and then in the afternoon from 2:00-4:00. On Thursday night we got to go back to the orphanage for a farewell party from 6:00-7:00. We brought McDonald happy meals and cupcakes for each child and every child wore their new clothes we got them to the party. The kiddos loved it! This was one of my favorite times of the week! It was much easier to leave the orphanage this time(still cried and wasn't really ready to leave)mainly because the children seemed so much happier over all. I miss seeing all the kiddos and especially a few that I got really close to. I got really close to a pair of sisters and their brother: Amelica(4 yrs. old), Amelia(5), and their brother Emmanuel(7). They were so sweet and cute! Also, I got really close to Blanca(9). I so would have taken all four in a heart beat if I was able to(my instant family minus my future husband). These four kiddos plus all the rest will definitely be in my prayers!



After we left the orphanage we headed to Panjachel to do some site seeing and shopping at Lake Atitlan. This was our 4th of July surprise and celebration! We took a boat tour around the lake and stopped at the cities of San Antonio and San Diego(which I thought was kinda amusing). The lake is truly AMAZING! It is surrounded by mountains and volcanoes. God's creation is truly breath taking here!! Here's a funny story: The boat ride was a long one and on the way back I fell asleep only to wake up to what I thought was a huge storm in which I was going to drown!!! We were in a small boat and I woke up to huge waves tossing our little boat from side to side. Little did I know that our boat had stopped to refuel(that's why the waves seemed so HUGE)! I was certain we were in a storm and going to drown! We didn't- praise the Lord- and even made it back before the storm hit! We had our farewell dinner later that night at Porta Hotel Panjachel. This was our last dinner together with all the leaders and interns. They surprised us with USA napkins and signs that said Happy 4th of July. They had planned some fireworks for us but the rain came instead. Fun times!! I am so glad that I had the opportunity to return to Guatemala. The Lord truly blessed my time while I was there and hopefully I will get a chance to return in the near future! Guatemala has a special place in my heart!!!

3 comments:

Liz said...

That sounds amazing - I'm so glad you're getting the chance to go back to the same place and HOW wonderful that conditions have improved so much! I'm also really glad you didn't have to barf.

What great photos! You are so cool! I'm also really superglad you're letting me have grand adventures vicariously through you. =)

Kylene said...

I'm so exctited to hear such a great report! I'm glad you had an amazing time and I can't wait to ask you a bunch of questions.

We were in Panajachel for like 4 days! I rode on the lake, too, and have a similar volcano picture! How funny! We went to Santiago on a boat. Our driver was really cool.

Can't wait to see you!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

Reading about all your adventures is making me tired for you! What a good summer. Praise God for how he is using you here at home and in Guatemala.

Miss you and can't wait to catch up!