Tuesday, July 10, 2007

L.I.T. Mission Trip to San Marcos!

Two weeks ago on June 23-30 Travis Avenue along with Wedgwood and Godly churches took their 5th and 6th grade L.I.T.'s(Leadership In Training)on a Mission Trip to San Marcos, TX. I started L.I.T. this past January and was a small group Bible study leader-4 out of my 5 girls went on the trip. It was really amazing to see my girls in action and to see how God was working in their lives and using them to minister to the children of San Marcos!
The trip kinda started off on a bad note-it took us forever to get there! So here's the story: We left Wedgwood around 1:30 on Sat. Kevin(L.I.T. Director)drove a church van full of boys while I got the privilege(wasn't too thrilled-made me extremely nervous to drive a big, long van around)of driving the other van full of girls. We weren't even to Waco yet, when Kevin gives me a call and informs me of how to handle the scary situation of getting a flat tire! My heart immediately starts beating faster!! He informs me not to slam on the breaks, but to gradually slow down and pull over. I think him for this nerve racking peace of information! Here comes the kinda funny part now: 5 sec. later the tread off one of his tires comes off and his van totally gets a flat! I told him that he totally jinkst himself! The neat part is this guy pulled over to help us and his parents go to Travis and he used to go to church there, too. Then, once we got to Waco, his van totally all together stops working and we have to leave it there to get fixed. We pick it back up on our way home Sat. So, a 4 hr. trip takes us about 5 or 6 hrs!
Back to the mission trip part: The week was totally amazing! This was a typical day: I woke at 6 a.m. and I got the girls up at 7. We had our daily devotions and went to breakfast at 8. Then, we were off to morning worship and mission preparation at 9. Around 10:30 we headed off to our apartment sites. Each church had a different site and our site was Champions Crossing. Each day we had between 15-20 kiddos from the apartments. Basically our L.I.T.'s were in charge of doing everything-the adults had to just sit back and watch, this was harder than one might think! The L.I.T.'s started off with recreation and games outside to draw all the kiddos in, then we moved inside the main offices to have Praise and Worship, a Bible Study, a counseling time, craft time, and a memory verse time. God was truly at work here, because the lady who was the manager was doing all she could to help us out and wanted us to be able to use the inside facilities! She told us that she used to go to Calvary(the church we were working with)and drive a bus for them. She even had tables set up so we could feed the kiddos lunch before they went back home. The L.I.T.'s did an amazing job! It was amazing to see them in action!! At our site 12 kiddos came to know the Lord-praise God!!! It was so neat to see how God used our 5th and 6th graders to minister and share the good news to their peers. We had debriefing from 1-1:30 and rest time from 1:30-2. Then, from 2-5:30 we had afternoon activities which included: swimming at the public pool and river, going to Wonder World(the activity I planned that was a huge success-thank goodness!), and going to Austin to a game place that had race cars, bumper boats, Lazar tag, etc. Dinner was at 6 p.m. and praise and worship started around 7 and followed by a prayer time that lasted until 11 or 11:30 most nights. The praise and worship and prayer time each night was truly amazing!!! Each night the Holy Spirit filled this room and the hearts of children and adults were being brokened and humbled. This time truly touched my heart! Lights were out after this time of prayer and then everything started over the next day. Sounds exhausting(it was), but soo much fun! Friday night was our Kidz Blitz at the church. All the apartment kids came to the church for a time of puppet ministry, praise and worship, drama and skits, and a Bible story time. The L.I.T.'s from all 3 churches were in charge of everything. They did a SUPPER job!! All together 50 decisions were made throughout the week-God is truly AMAZING AND WAS AT WORK IN SAN MARCOS, TX!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!! We headed back to Ft. Worth Sat. morning. I was really sad to be leaving, but at the same time was so tired and worn out. This trip really spoke to my heart and challenged me to get out of my comfort zone. If God can use 5th and 6th graders to share the gospel then with His strength and boldness I should be able to do the same thing! I look forward to going back next summer and I already miss seeing my girls every day! They are truly a blessing from God in my life!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions