Monday, September 1, 2008

A DAY OF REST...FROM MY LABOR!

I googled Labor Day and this is what I found:
Labor Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the first Monday in September. The holiday originated in 1882 as the Central Labor Union (of New York City) sought to create "a day off for the working citizens".
Congress made Labor Day a federal holiday in 1894.[1] All fifty states have made Labor Day a state holiday.
Traditionally, Labor Day is celebrated by most Americans as the symbolic end of the summer.
Labor Day has been celebrated on the first Monday in September in the United States since the 1880s.[2] The form for the celebration of Labor Day was outlined in the first proposal of the holiday—a street parade to exhibit to the public "the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations," followed by a festival for the workers and their families. This became the pattern for Labor Day celebrations. Speeches by prominent men and women were introduced later, as more emphasis was placed upon the economic and civil significance of the holiday. Still later, by a resolution of the American Federation of Labor convention of 1909, the Sunday preceding Labor Day was adopted as Labor Sunday and dedicated to the spiritual and educational aspects of the labor movement.
Mi casa...a nice man came and put up our flag in celebration of Labor Day. Almost every house on our street has flags up. I love driving down the street and looking at all the flags!
I'm so thankful for my day of rest. I started my day off by sleeping in(8a.m. this is sleeping in for me, since school has started I've been getting up at 6a.m.). Then, I headed to the gym to get a work out in(along with everyone else who lives in Ft. Worth-the gym was packed out). Now, I'm getting ready to work on some school stuff(the work of a teacher is NEVER ending)for this week. Hope that you all enjoy your LABOR DAY HOLIDAY!!!

1 comment:

Kylene said...

Man, they gave y'all a BIG flag. No one passes out flags in our neighborhood. Hey I did schoolwork yesterday and a little today. You're right, a teacher's work is NEVER EVER done. Well, excpet maybe in the summer, right?! :P